Thursday 18 June 2015

A Thursday Book Review!

I haven't been able to get much reading or listening done this week so thought I would share one of my older book reviews with you :)  Until my reading picks up again I'd like to share some of my Goodreads reviews or just some BookBug happenings each Thursday with you so Thursdays will be all about the book love <3 Hope you enjoy!!
Kelly x
 

The Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1)The Blackhouse by Peter May
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I couldn't not read this coming from the island could i??! This was really enjoyable and of course I did enjoy the references to home. But that wasn't the reason I enjoyed it as even though I am normally a science fiction type of girl I found the twists and turns of this crime novel kept me totally engrossed till the end.

Peter May was a screenwriter on the Gaelic TV series 'Machair' (don't worry if you haven't heard of it!!) and so spent quite a bit of time filming in the Islands. I don't know if he was only here in the winter but he certainly captured the bleakness and desolation that can be felt in certain conditions there. Not only that, he also captured the community aspects of the area. I know the area the book is set in very well and the author had no problem communicating the secrecy that can occur in small communities as well as the protectiveness they have for their own.

The main characters' feelings on his return to the Island from his new mainland life are something that many of us who now reside away can relate to and I loved the description of the plane coming in. Almost made me feel homesick ;)

Generally, a good read that will have you wanting to continue with the second and third in the trilogy, but also nice and easy and quick to get through.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment